Speaker: Dr. Taleieh Rajabi,
PhD, Research Associate
Institute for Microstructure Technology (IMT)
Title: Flownamic-Microfluidics for Life Sciences and Medicine
(1) Local Organizer: Dr. Pourreza
(1) Time: Tuesday, February, 10, 2015, 12:00 – 14:00
(1) Location: Amphitheatre Hall, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad
(2) Local Organizer: Dr. Moghimi
(2) Time: Monday, February 2, 2015, 11:00 AM.
(2) Location: Amphitheater Hall, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Tehran
Due to advances in medical research and science in the last decades, the chance of a cure of diseases such as cancer has increased significantly. Also other serious diseases can be cured even by the use of stem cell technology today. Only the cooperation of various fields such as bio-medicine and engineering makes the development of appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic systems possible. We have developed microfluidic systems (organ-on-a-chip) for medical, biological and pharmaceutical research and industrial applications.
With this systems can be carried the bio-medical experiments in high throughput with high reproducibility.
The use of transparent biocompatible materials allows for microscopic in vitro long-term observation of living cells in simulated blood vessels and thus replacing a part of the animal experiments. Areas of application include cancer research, stem cell research and research into neurological diseases (eg. As by modeling the blood-brain barrier) and drug development for neurological diseases.